Monday, August 9, 2010

Asking Questions-Spiritual Growth

I am a volunteer writer for the website GotQuestions. People who come to that website can browse a huge data base of already asked and answered questions or they can submit a question which is assigned to a writer to answer. I thought as I had opportunity to answer some of these questions, I would share them in a series of posts under the label "Asking Questions". I pray that you are encouraged.

Q-about 8 to 10 months ago i felt like i was spiritually soaring, everyday i woke up i felt amazing and felt like i was getting higher and higher and closer to god or maybe it was something else but anyway, i just wanted to know what it was and how to get it back oh and also i have not been going to church lately and haven`t been able to praise god and read my bible like i did before, i use to do it everyday so if you can please help thanks.

A-I think it's important for us to remember that being a Christian does not mean that we are not going to feel down or have periods where we don't feel as good as we did. Observe a few things that Paul said.


Colossians 1:24
Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I do my share on behalf of His body, which is the church, in filling up what is lacking in Christ's afflictions.

Romans 7:21-25
I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.

If Paul, who was the greatest evangelist and preacher who ever lived, had times where he felt like that certainly you and I can expect that to happen. The important thing to remember is that how we feel is not important but what God's word says is what's important. When you feel like neglecting to study the word and pray that is the exact opposite of what the Holy Spirit would prompt you to do. Therefore, you know it is your "flesh" talking and not the indwelling Holy Spirit. Notice what the psalmist says about true happiness. It doesn't come from a feeling but from a relationship with God and drawing near to God through His word.

Psalm 1:1-2
How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, Nor stand in the path of sinners, Nor sit in the seat of scoffers! But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night.

No comments: