Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Good Pastor Should Be A Shepherd

The other day, a gentleman named Mike left the following comment on a post I had written on The Shack:

Joe- I appreciate your zeal and your willingness to call a spade a spade! Heresy is Heresy, the fact the lukewarm American "Christian" churh can't recognize it, or have the kahoonas(sp) to speak out against it, only proves how prevelant sin is. Now I'M an intolerant ideolog, but I just got wind that my church is going to host a class on the inspirational aspects of this text, and I'm flat FIRED UP. I am constructing a presentation to our elders right now, to challenge them to execute their biblical duty and protect the church from bad teaching and heretical doctrine.

It got me to thinking about some of the biblical qualities and responsiblities of a pastor to shepherd a church. Obviously, a pastor should remain faithful to biblical doctrine. It would be shameful for a pastor to say "We, as elders, affirm [insert biblical doctrine here] to be true" and then turn around and violate that very doctrine but play word games to justify their unfaithfulness to God's word.

My prayer for this church and this Christian brother is that the elders of that church mindfully consider their responsiblity to faithfully protect the church of God from error and false doctrine. I trust you will join with me in that prayer.

No comments: